ANST - proposal - was: Black Star - Action!

PKieferjr at aol.com PKieferjr at aol.com
Sun Aug 6 13:09:01 PDT 2000

jyeates at realtime.net writes:

<< side bar note: and please, none of the tired old arguments that not
 all people have or can afford web access ... they all know someone
 who does who can print out what they need or they can go to one of
 many public access points ... if this argument has any validity in
 the present, then there is no valid reason for the kingdom using
 kingdom funds to buy and support a server solely for the "elite few"
 .... we have it, it's accepted, old arguments against web publishing
 can be proved invalid by association.

If the info from the Black Star can be transmitted electronically, then those
who don't have access knows someone who does and is willing to help?

Hmmm....can't guarantee that argument.  There's a possibility that there are
circumstances where access is eliminated (moved, on vacation, contagious
disease, etc.)

Additionally, I would submit that there is a chance....small, but a
chance....that it would require some branch officer or person to be able to
have continual access so that the person can download the info, print it up
and distribute or disseminate to those who don't.  Since we can't guarantee
that every branch officer will have access, and since that position changes
on a regular basis, that would probably force the branch to purchase the
necessary equipment (i.e., computer, printer, appropriate peripherals, etc.).
 Minimum I would expect that to cost would probably be in the neighborhood of
$1000 to $2500.  Expensive and not exactly cost effective.  That alone might
be enough to break a lot of budgets.

I can see plusses and I can see minuses....and I'm not sure that the plusses
will win.

Lord Johanne Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)