ANST - WHY- Kingdom membership

Brent Hanner behanner at castleliechtenstein.net
Sat Feb 12 12:24:29 PST 2000

While this thread is interesting and all hearing many theoretical ways to
increase the membership
numbers an important question has only been asked once and was never answered.

Keith Hood wrote:

> Do you mean total number of people playing, or do you mean membership as in
> paid for and got an official membership card?
>
> If the latter, why?  If it's important in some way, please explain.  I
> honestly don't see the point.

Until you ask why then you won't see the best way to go about increasing the
membershipnumbers.  The only reason I could see for increasing membership
numbers is that the kingdom
is runny crucially low in this and could lose its standing as a kingdom and I
guess be placed back
under Atenvelt.  If that's not the reason then why?

The only reasonable suggestion that has been placed on this list was by Gunthar
and Romanius.
And that is the non-member gate fee.  This is the only new idea that makes sense
on any real
level.  Most people know the advantages to being a member by the time they have
been in the SCA
6 months or so.

If the membership number is not at a crucial level in this kingdom then why is
this even being discussed?
A far more relevant topic would be how to increase the over all population and
the activity level of those
that are fringe players.  Because theoretically if that number increases so
should the number of memberships
assuming people consider membership worth getting.

Peder
--
I saw the fairest in all the lands / and I can never sing of others now.
To her bright eyes and smooth, white hands,/ wherever she may be, I'll always

Aside, For I must feel the Breeze, by
Heinrich I, Count of Anhalt