ANST - Memberships

Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara) baw2 at lucent.com
Mon Feb 14 06:07:36 PST 2000

	Randall wrote:

>    I personally resent the concept of pay to play.

Many people agree with you.  They see involvement in the SCA as a right
rather than a privilege.

>    It is my hope that "WE" meaning the SCA, never get so twisted in our
> concerns for money, that we do not remember where we came from originally
> and what the goals are.

Where we came from?  I came from a Kingdom where I had to pay an extra $5 to
get into an event because I was not a member.  Did I feel excluded, less
valued, not wanted?  No, I felt "boy, I had better send in my membership
before this costs me any more".

>  I would rather help cover the costs to get people in and interested
> enough to allow them to decide to pay for their memebrship then try to
> twist their arms. We get too much of that thought pattern in the "real"
> world.

I don't see anyone suggesting strong armed tactics.

>  All it takes for evil to win is for a good person to stand by and do
> nothing.

There is true evil in the world that needs addressing, the idea of paying
for the activity in which you are participating does not rank with them.

>  For myself and my Clan, I know we will always seek to help those who are
> starting out.

Good.  Charity begins at home.  This is one of the ideas that we have been
throwing around.  If you can help, do.

This discussion will yield the best results if we don't jump to the farthest
extremes.  No one is suggesting that people be harassed into paying
membership. In fact there have been many suggestions that would either make
the idea of membership more attractive, or would help those that truly
cannot afford it.  Yes, the suggestion that non-members pay a higher gate
free has been put forward, but that would probably not happen in this
Kingdom.  It surely didn't happen when it was mandated.  More likely some of
the other suggestions made will find their way into the local meetings.

Alys.
Steppes