ANST - RE: ES - Heal Thyself first

Greg Shetler odsman at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 08:25:06 PST 2000

>         The SCA is not dying as a group.
>
>Sfi, you have not sat in on the Baron and Baroness' meetings, where so many
>of our Kingdom's leaders talk about the difficulties in getting people to
>volunteer for jobs and that they cannot get autocrats / stewards for
>events.
>Our Barony of Elfsea has been in that position, but things have changed
>here, because of what we do differently.

Difficulty in getting autocrats does not necessarily imply anything about
the health of the group.

>Yes, the corporation has problems, I don't deny that.  However, the
>problems
>that we are seeing in our Kingdom don't come from the top down, they come
>from the bottom up.  The idea that changes in people's personal attitudes
>must be the result of legislation or corporate structure is, in my personal
>opinion, and invalid one.

Problems?  What problems?  Declining paid memberships does not necessarily
imply any problem whatsoever for the Kingdom, though it is certainly a
potential problem for the corporation.

>So many people can complain about how things are run, but they don't do
>anything to better themselves and their groups.

Very true.  Fortunately, on this list, we have seen some very proactive
folks doing what they can to better the situation for the corporation.

>Twenty years of being involved in the SCA has shown me that only you can
>change yourself and your surroundings.  Only you can make yourself happy.
>If you aren't able to do that, no one, no Board of Directors, and no
>Government can do that for you.

Very true.  Though a voice raised to point out problems is certainly action
one can take to change one's surroundings, a part of which is the board and
its inept attempts to move the SCA from a recreational organization to a
corporation in the business of supporting a recreational organization.

Dux