ANST - Kingdom membership

Cam Battaglia cbat at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:45:29 PST 2000

MARVELOUS IDEA !!!

This is the type of thought that is needed rather than the casting of stones.  We all admit that we need the infusion of new blood into the society or we would not actively seek out new members or give our time for the demos ... but what do we do to encourage those new people that we discuss the SCA with?  A freebie day-trip certificate and a "on site sponsor" would be cool.  If you can get this done, I would be willing to "sponsor" one of these prospects and spend the day with them.

gptaylor <gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu> wrote:
Regarding Increasing membership and money issues...

One thing that I've seen that I think could promote membership, and is something
of an "anti-non-member surcharge", is to make up some sort of certificate that
will allow a prospective new member to daytrip their first event for free.
People who see a small demo might have no idea of what an SCA event is really
like. Such a certificate, provided at the demo, can give them information about
the SCA, what they need to bring to an event, contact info about how to borrow
garb, directions to the event, etc. They can turn it in at gate and gain
admittance, at which time the hospitaler can be contacted to let him/her know
about the person being there, allowing her/him to help coordinate folks for the
newby to meet, etc. This, of course, works best at sites where the group isn't
charged for the number of day tripping folks on site, e.g. when it's free for
the group- it wouldn't cover feast in non-rich groups.

Isobel

Lady Katrina Alyse Argo
Matriarch of Clan Wyldenfrey
a.k.a. Momma Cammie