ANST - Kingdom membership

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 08:32:38 PST 2000

>A couple of weeks ago, I asked for ideas about how to increase >Kingdom
>membership.

Do you mean total number of people playing, or do you mean membership as in
paid for and got an official membership card?

If the latter, why?  If it's important in some way, please explain.  I
honestly don't see the point.

>2. "How about making a rule that you have to be a member to enter a crown
>tourney or queen's champion or enter any other kingdom level competition.
>In two or three years
>you can lower it down to the regional level."

Whoever proposed this:  Maybe I'm wrong but I thought you already had to
have a membership card to hold the crown.  And why would you want to make
such a regional level requirement?  What benefit would accrue?  If there's
no real benefit in it, the only thing it could do would be to irritate
people who don't like being forced to buy a membership.

As a general thing, I believe it would be a bad idea and counterproductive
in the long run to use punitive measures to increase membership.  Ideas
meant to give people incentive are OK.  But measures that force people to
buy memberships are bound to cause resentment which could lead to real
interpersonal difficulties later.

     Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra