ANST - Kingdom membership

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Thu Feb 10 08:43:51 PST 2000

At 04:30 PM 2/10/00 +0000, you wrote:

>The girl scouts, [snip] to
>name but a few all have membership fees and newsletters, appropriate attire
>that is expected, meetings and events for their groups, and I really don't
>hear alot of controversy regarding membership from that quarter.

I don't know about the other groups, but Girl Scouts have a policy that
*no* girl is denied membership who wants it.  But, they also get funding
from United Way and other groups to help pay the girl's membership and dues
if her family cannot afford to pay.  Some Councils are even paying people
to be leaders of troops, especially in inner-city schools.  [Imagine paying
someone to be your local Seneschal or Hospitaler!]

Appropriate attire (ie. uniforms) are not required unless they're doing
something official where they're really needed; and even then they can
sometimes rent or borrow uniforms.  The same goes for some camping
equipment (tents, backpacks, etc.).

~Adela
(one of many old Girl Scouts that are in the Kingdom)