ANST - Kingdom membership

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Thu Feb 10 15:58:55 PST 2000

At 08:09 AM 2/10/00 -0600, you wrote:
>This thread is reminding me strongly of the "pay to play" days. In case you
>have forgotten this Kingdom led the way in saying NO! we won't pay to play.
>Genevieve de Courtanvaux

What we were objecting to it those days (among a number of other issues as
well) was being required to be a paid member to attend any SCA activity at
all, hence "Pay To Play".  I  don't think that the general theme here has
been "Pay to Play" but it has been "Should paid members get special
benefits??".  Requiring a person to be a paid member to compete in a King
or Queens champion is one suggestion,  Discounts at gate and feast being
another.  As to the benefits built in to the SCA for paid membership they
are understandably limited at the Corporate level.  TI, Black Star,
membership card, you count in membership numbers (but only if you are a
subscribing member) and that is about it.  But, if Corporate were to try
and shift some other benefit, like say fighting, over to paid members only,
the shouts  would be heard all the way in China.  So they leave it up to
each kingdom to decide what additional benefits paid membership will
have.  One example is that in a number of Kingdoms you have to be a paid
member to receive any award.  The best argument that I have heard so far is
that the paid members are subsidizing everyone for our liability
insurance.  The best benefit is possible gate discounts.

Burke