ANST - Kingdom Membership/Pay to Play

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 17:01:03 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/10/00 3:18:00 PM Central Standard Time, htault at yahoo.com
writes:

<<  am a relative newcomer to the SCA and my budget as a
 new wife and college student is very limited.
 Therefore, my attendance at events is rare and I enjoy
 all the more the events I do have the opportunity to
 attend. To some, a site fee of $7 or $8 and a feast
 fee of, say, $5 is not exorbitant. However, to those
 of us who dearly love the SCA but have limited means,
 site and/or feast fees add up. Not to mention the cost
 of gas to and from and the other daily costs of
 attending such an event.

This brings up a point I want to make. Most people who do not have a lot of
money don't go to all the wars and events. They plan and skimp to go the one
or two events a year and that is the only time they go. The hit the sale
tables for fabric. I usually don't pay past $2 a yard. Then it is off to the
Garage sales and Goodwill for everything else. Food at events when I started
was a few loafs of homemade bread and a pot of "stone soup." That means a few
of us divvied up the ingredients and put it in the pot. Over the campfire not
a grill.

These are the people who will have a hard time paying.  Not the ones that go
to everything. These are also the people who will work just to get into the
event without charge. I did this many a time at camp Burnett. I am thankful I
could do that.

These are also the people that will never tell you there is a financial
problem and just stop coming to events. If we nurture them in the longrun
they will become valued members that will pay as soon as they can. With more
joy than you can imagine but you will never know.

Remember you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Ly Maili Donnel MacGregor
Who has been a member since 82 with big gaps depending on the hand life has
dealt at the time but always comes back to the SCA when able.