ANST - A question about footwear

paul kaveshan pkjdw at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:46:51 PST 2000

>From: "Michael F. Gunter" <michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com>
>To: Ansteorra <ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG>
>Subject: ANST - A question about footwear
>Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 12:16:22 -0600
>
>Happy Millenium All,
>
>I noticed in the current Black Star a mention that all entrants
>into the Queen's Champion list must wear period footwear.

I have read the same passage in the Black Star.  But I notice it says "all
fighters who enter the list make an ATTEMPT at period footwear"
This is not quite the same as saying "must".
I have seen before, an "attempt" is anything that is not blatently modern.
Cover your sneakers with "rags" or some other camoflage.  You dont need to
go out and buy $200 or even a $10 pair of "period" footwear.  Just make an
effort to hide them if they are not.

>I think this issue should be clarified for those who wish to compete
>in the list ahead of time so that proper research can be done and
>if needed, a proper cobbler hired so a person can fight.

But I agree with part of your statment.  Combat boots and full blown neon
colored sneakers are a bit much on the field.

>I understand there is a desire to have a more period appearance
>on the field but I think a vague sentence in the Black Star which
>could possibly have a worthy gentle removed from a list as
>important as Queens should be more detailed. If Her Highness
>or one who advises Her could respond with a bit more detail I'm
>sure many students of the duello would be very appreciative.
>
>Yers,
>
>Gunthar

I can't beleive I answered this. 8-)

James De Warrenne