ANST - A question about footwear

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 4 07:42:04 PST 2000

I would like to thank Her Royal Highness for hopefully clearing up
some concerns that I had heard expressed by some members of the
rapier community. Although it is still up to Her taste as to what
"attempt" means I am quite positive that She will not turn away
well meaning individuals who desire to be Her champion. Since
others had expressed concern and I'm but a poor border lord with
no social graces I felt I would bring up the subject.

Sir Alexis offered this helpful tidbit:

> Just to clear up a misconception, according to a couple of nice
> illuminations in King Rene's books, thigh high boots are perfectly
> period (c. 1457).  In Le Cueur d'Amours Espris (The Book of the Heart
> Possessed by Love) c. 1457, there are two distinct pictures showing the
> classical thigh high boot, albeit with the pointier toes appropriate to
> the era.

As well as other examples. But I do have a question about this. I do
know that thigh-high boots were used in period and, in fact, some
examples can be very early period. But I had also heard that such
boots or leg coverings were only used while riding to preserve the fine
hose of a noble. Once back in polite company the leg coverings would
be removed and proper garb donned. Being someone who loves my
high boots I was dismayed to hear this, but being an uncivilized border
lord, I didn't care and wore them in polite company anyway. Thus I show
my lack of proper breeding once again.

Such boots worn around a tournament or even a faire would be appropriate
but I wouldn't think they would be worn at Court or fighting a prize before
the Queen.

Were these illustrations of Court or of things like a hunt or travelling? I
would think for proper company no more than an ankle high boot would be
worn.

> Sir Alexis LaBouche
> occasional cordwainer (=shoe maker), not cobbler (=shoe repairer)

Yers,

Count Gunthar
occassional (hell, frequent) rabble-rouser