ANST - A question about footwear

Alexis drwise at swbell.net
Wed Jan 5 15:58:28 PST 2000

Greetings all, Count Gunther raised a few questions:

> As well as other examples. But I do have a question about this. I do
> know that thigh-high boots were used in period and, in fact, some
> examples can be very early period. But I had also heard that such
> boots or leg coverings were only used while riding to preserve the fine
> hose of a noble. Once back in polite company the leg coverings would
> be removed and proper garb donned. Being someone who loves my
> high boots I was dismayed to hear this, but being an uncivilized border
> lord, I didn't care and wore them in polite company anyway. Thus I show
> my lack of proper breeding once again.
>
> Such boots worn around a tournament or even a faire would be appropriate
> but I wouldn't think they would be worn at Court or fighting a prize before
> the Queen.
>
> Were these illustrations of Court or of things like a hunt or travelling? I
> would think for proper company no more than an ankle high boot would be
> worn.

While several of the illustrations show the boots on a mounted figure,
or on one immediately next to a horse (the two I first mentioned),
further investigation has turned up an illustration of a 15c Froissart's
chronicles showing the French King Charles V receiving three English
envoys at his court (while their horses are present, fashion didn't
require them to change before being received); another illumination
shows Richard II receiving at court the Earl of Gloucester (c.1389)
wearing his high boots.  Next, we have a late 15c illumination by Jean
Fouquet, Trial of Duc de'Alencon, showing King Charles VII presiding
over the trial of the Duc d'Alencon.  Included in the picture is a
courtier wearing his thigh high boots, at an indoor, formal event, no
horses to be found. Finally, a minature from King Rene of Anjou's Livre
des Tournois (1460-65) shows the Duc de Bourbon in a court setting being
given his sword by his men who are wearing thigh high boots.
All this I would take to suggest that it was perfectly acceptable to
wear your high boots in polite company.   I have always understood the
preference for low shoes was to allow more of the leg to show, since it
was the height of fashion 'to turn a nice calf'.  Now, if you don't have
nice legs, that's another problem.
Hope this answer's your questions,

Sir Alexis LaBouche
occasional cordwainer, and fashion consultant
(If you need more info on the cite's let me know)