ANST - A question about footwear

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Jan 4 10:07:59 PST 2000

PotterKD at aol.com wrote:
> An Attempt is just that....*laugh* I will not be seeing if ones Elizabethan
> persona is matching to their long pointed boots.  But I do not wish to see
> white nikies/rebocks or doc martins on the field.  I too have worn incognito
> sneakers -- After I had my knee surgery -- but they where all black shoes
> that though they may have not been the most period they where not screaming
> modern either.  Thus -- I attempted to wear period shoes.

There are a number of solutions to the problem of period-appearing shoes
that have been done in the SCA. All the way from choosing particular
modern footware, modifying or disguising modern footware, making period-
looking shoes or even to hand-sewn shoes made of leather made with period
tanning methods.

Perhaps these files in the CLOTHING section of my Florilegium will help
some folks develop some footware appropriate to their situation and the
original request:
shoes-msg        (156K)  3/25/98    Medieval footwear and SCA imitations.
shoemaking-msg    (18K) 12/ 3/98    Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.

Hopefully, when time permits, I will be able to add to these with a file
specifically oriented toward period boots.

My files are at: http://www.florilegium.org

> No cobbler needed -- but you are right clarification was in order.

No, some of the cover-ups or modern shoes may be quite useable and
fairly
quick to do by the usual SCA member.

> HRH Kayleigh Drake

Lord Stefan li Rous