ANST - A question about footwear

PotterKD at aol.com PotterKD at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 17:20:01 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/3/2000 12:20:45 PM Central Standard Time,
michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

Greetings unto Count Gunthar and all good gentles on this list!

I am assuming that His Excellency posted this question to the list so that I
might be able to explain this requirement for My upcoming Queen's a little
better.  Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

<< For one, what is meant by period footwear? Must the footwear be matching
 the garb and century of the fighter? Who will determine what
 is appropriate and what isn't? <<<<

An Attempt is just that....*laugh* I will not be seeing if ones Elizabethan
persona is matching to their long pointed boots.  But I do not wish to see
white nikies/rebocks or doc martins on the field.  I too have worn incognito
sneakers -- After I had my knee surgery -- but they where all black shoes
that though they may have not been the most period they where not screaming
modern either.  Thus -- I attempted to wear period shoes.

>>Are Tivar's Nikes inappropriate or is it just to remove white tennis shoes
and combat boots from the list? How period must the footwear be? Can modern
 English riding boots or the non-period thigh highs be worn?

Tivar's shoes are an attempt at period shoes (just ask -- I've seen the
picture he carries with him :-), ridding boots are an attempt...as far as
combat boots go -- If someone can come up with a picture that looks like
combat boots in period okay -- otherwise I would say no.

>> I think this issue should be clarified for those who wish to compete
 in the list ahead of time so that proper research can be done and
 if needed, a proper cobbler hired so a person can fight.<<<

No cobbler needed -- but you are right clarification was in order.

 >>I understand there is a desire to have a more period appearance
 on the field but I think a vague sentence in the Black Star which
 could possibly have a worthy gentle removed from a list as
 important as Queens should be more detailed. If Her Highness
 or one who advises Her could respond with a bit more detail I'm
 sure many students of the duello would be very appreciative.<<<

*laugh* - I will let His Highness know that his wording is "vague".  Please,
please understand this is on a case by case basis.  I would never tell a new
fighter that they just drove 6 hours to not be allowed in the list -- on the
flip side I would also except that those who are more ingrained in the rapier
community to be aware at what we are trying to recreate.

Again -- if anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me.  This is
not a new idea for Ansteorra.  In fact I know at Pennsic and I believe for
her Queen's HRM Kat had an "attempt at period footwear" request.  Please --
everyone just come out and have fun...that is the whole purpose of the day.

Learning to serve the dream and Ansteorra,

HRH Kayleigh Drake