[ANST - New Peerage Proposal]

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:12:12 PST 2000

Pug writes:

"It sounds good to me. Having to earn a PoA through other methods than
happening to be the hot stick jock (or their consort) on any particular
day doesn't bother me that much. (Yes, it's a little exageration, but
I've heard it said by many including those who've won.)"

And Larissa responds:

For anyone reading, I really like Pug, so don't think I am offended because
I disagree (busily stacking soap boxes) :)

It is the Patent that makes an order a peerage.   There are a couple people
that seemed to be very confused on this subject, all I can say is go and
read the original charters.  We call them Royal Peers, I know I was granted
one by Caid and then again read into law by Atenveldt when I reigned there,
and it read alot more than just being "the babe who hung around with the
hottest stick of the day."

A Crown, whether they be a spectacular one, or a couple that makes things
stay staus quo and stable through their Reign makes huge sacrifices of their
time, of their personal finances, their automobile, and in some cases their
mundane life to serve their Kingdom as best as they can.  They do this by
choice and by oath when they enter a Crown tournament.  It is a very
important matter of honor.

They are expected to conduct themselves as the shining example of what our
dream should be, and is most cases, they succeed.  I wont talk about the
exceptions because I consider that another issue altogether.

I have been doing some extensive research on the subject, and I was told a
story over the holidays that when Ansteorra was declared a seperate Kingdom
from their parent Kingdom (one that grants patents by the way) the Crown at
the time went to Katherine Kurtz, celebrated author and desiden of the
Kingdom of the West, and had her write the charters for the orders of
Royalty.

Now I have met Katherine, we met when I was Queen of Caid shortly before she
left the states, and know that she was granted a patent with her County in
the Kingdom of the West (or was it Caid)???, so this made little sense to
me.  The information came from an ancient and venerable Duke and Duchess, so
I now find myself playing "History's Lost and Found" to see if I can find
any surviving facts or fiction on the subject, is it real, or legend *L*

The West, being the first Kingdom, granted the orders Patents, Atenveldt the
next division *in this direction*, carried this also, and our Ansteorra was
the third generation and where the change happened.  From a Kingdom
anthropology standpoint, it is fascinating to note that this break in
tradition happened somewhere along the lines of the Mississippi, because the
other Kingdom's not granting Patents are on the other side from us.

Another issue is basically we consider our Crown the heads of all the
orders.  It is our Crown who's hands recognize and ceremonially elevate our
Peers...I think you can see where I am going here.
Most of the people who are adamently against this, I say MOST not ALL, are
people from other Kingdom's who had very bad and hurtful experiences
regarding pollings and other things which it is my personal belief have no
business in the Order.  I think that it should be granted unless the Peers
and Populace alike cry out in outrage over an extremely bad reign, or an
incident which harms the Kingdom and it's people.  I really grieve for those
who were hurt by pollings and have spoken up and discussed it, if I could, I
would fix it, but it is not within my power.  My Patents were a happy and
cherished experience, and I think everyone who gives their time as a Crown
deserves just as much.

I feel strongly about this because the Royalty here in Ansteorra that I call
my brothers and sisters are some of the best I have come to know in the
Knowne World, and I think we should look at all the positives instead of the
one or two negatives in our history.

Climbing off the soap boxes.

Larissa