[ANST - New Peerage Proposal]

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jan 6 10:14:05 PST 2000

Trish Kvamme (ladyoftherose at hotmail.com) said something that sounded like:
> For anyone reading, I really like Pug, so don't think I am offended because
> I disagree (busily stacking soap boxes) :)

*laugh* I'd think it funny that someone would have thought otherwise
from the discussion. This is a discussion I figured would come up sooner
or later, so I'm glad to see it.

> It is the Patent that makes an order a peerage.

Yes, but it is the behavior of the people, while on the thrown and after,
that earn our and the Known World's respect. The people of this Kingdom
and the Society will treat our Crown with the same respect if they have a
PoA or not.

The Crown takes on a large amount of responsibility - finanical, emotional
and timewise - when they step onto the field at Crown Tournament. Their
reasons for doing this are their own, but I doubt anyone would change
their mind because of a PoA being associated or not with the honors of
leading our Kingdom.

> Another issue is basically we consider our Crown the heads of all the
> orders.  It is our Crown who's hands recognize and ceremonially elevate our
> Peers...I think you can see where I am going here.

Down a spiral that makes no sense to me. The Crown also recognizes the
different Grants and Award of Arms. That does not meant that they should
be given these if they do not have them.

While on the thrown you are given the honor of being a member of all
orders (or some facsimile), your behavior there will reflect on you
forever. It may be that you are looked on more favorably if you come up
for discussion within that circle because of your previous behavior and
not because you already have a Patent for being Crown.

> I feel strongly about this because the Royalty here in Ansteorra that I call
> my brothers and sisters are some of the best I have come to know in the
> Knowne World, and I think we should look at all the positives instead of the
> one or two negatives in our history.

I think we should set the shining example of how the Royal family can be
treated without the extra accoutrament of a PoA. The Royal family will
still continue to do the things they do. Etc.

Ciao,