ANST - SR Chronicler Officer Update Info

David Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:32:44 PST 2000

> > Please excuse the bandwith...
> > FYI - A NEW CENTURY & A NEW SOUTHERN REGIONAL CHRONICLER!!!!

for anyone interested,

Okay, rant snipped, and since I've got to live with the fallout once
Chrystal reads these posts I may as well get a word in now (general
disclaimer-THIS IS MEANT IN JEST!  DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY!  No, I have not
lost my mind!  This is not an official statement of the Barony of Ravens
Fort!)

HE Chrystal has repeatedly reminded me over the past two weeks that we have
not and will not start the new millennium until next year.  Please note she
did not say the "M" word anywhere in her post.  I've even seen her eyes
bulge at the mere suggestion.  She is of one mind with Alisandre on this
matter.  I am indifferent.

Having pointed this out, and deftly side-stepping the millennium issue, I
will adamantly argue that a new century has begun.  A new one begins with
every second, half-second or however you care to meter time and one equally
closes. I for one am liberal enough to believe that one hundred years has
past. Somehow. It's all dependent on where you count back to.  It may not
square off with a nice round number at the stroke of midnight.  So what!
It's a human thing, none of the other creatures I've met seem to care.

What's really the issue is when we started counting.  Blame it on the
Victorians.  They shoulda been more careful. In fact, this whole y2k thing
wouldn't have happened if Babbage would have had a little foresight. You
know, everybody says that George Burns lived to be one hundred years old.
Did he?  His first year was all in that count up to being 1 year old and he
died before hitting 101.  So technically he lost the bet.  Do we take away
his centurion status on a technicality?

What if that Gregorian dude woke up with a hang over and decided to put off
counting time for a day or so?  What if the world was created on Friday
afternoon instead of 10:56 am, Thursday?  HMMM... In other words our whole
concept of time really gets down to a 365 day earth cycle divided by a
decimal counting system that has more to do with number of digits on our
hands than any divine mandate which governs every moment of our existence.
Kinda makes you wonder why we've got to be to work at 8 am.  As far as the
millennium goes, hmmm... ask me next year.

Thanks for your indulgence,
collections accepted for therapy,
thanks for the mental stimulation,
David St. David

....and as for as Chrystal's witty sig line....

"The ideal of the world resides in individual improvement:
it will grow with your strength, grow beautiful with your
perfection. But for you to follow this path, two things
matter above all else: an ardent curiosity for life and
an unprejudiced mind."  --Pieter Paul Rubens--

----WOW!...Pee Wee said that!

dsd, hehe