ANST - recipe

Decker, Terry D. TerryD at health.state.ok.us
Thu Jan 6 11:01:24 PST 2000

> Does anyone have a recipe for Kadayif?  Sorry to take up space but I'm
> not on the cook's list.
>
> Ascelyn

A couple months ago I was looking for historical information on kataif,
which Duke Cariadoc kindly provided on the Cooks list.  My query and his
reply are appended.

Bear

At 9:06 AM -0500 9/9/99, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>I have a reference from the 1920s to 10th Century kataif as a confection of
>banana, almonds and honey doused with nut oil.  The work is a history of
the
>banana and displays solid historical references in most regards.  The
>comment about kataif appears to be explanatory fill in a reference to
>Masudi, the poet and historian.
>
>Modern kataif (also known as ataif and gatayef) is a coarse, shortened
dough
>stuffed with nuts or cheese then baked and served with syrup.
>
>Does anyone have any idea whether I am dealing with an author's error or
>with the evolution of a recipe or with a change in the useage of the word
>kataif?
>
>Bear

>From _Manuscrito Anonimo_ (13th c. Andalusian)

Sift white flour three times, take the choicest part, mingle it with butter
and knead it with egg yolk and put into the dough some saffron and salt.
Put clarified butter into an earthenware frying pan, boil it and take one
kail of honey and one of dough and throw them into the melted butter until
it is cooked. Before it is thickened, put in blanched almonds and
pine-nuts, sprinkle it with pepper and present it.

The Making of Qatâif
Put a potful of water on the fire until it boils, and throw in coarsely
ground semolina, and cook it on the fire until it becomes pudding ('asîda).
Then take it out of the pot and put it in a dish; boil honey and pour it on
top, with pepper, and present it, God willing.

[This is an aberrant recipe. Qataif are basically crepes, very thin breads
or things made from them.]
[the note is by Charles Perry, the translator]
---
Recipe for Abbasid Qatâif

It is made from the pierced musahhada that has already been mentioned. Take
peeled almonds, pound them and let them dry until they are like semolina.
Add as much again of sugar, spikenard, cloves, and Chinese cinnamon. Then
take a flatbread (raghîf) of the aforementioned musahhada, free of burns,
and sprinkle it with those almonds and ground sugar aplenty. Sprinkle it
with rosewater in which some camphor is dissolved, and fold it until it is
a half circle. Glue the edges with dough wetted in rosewater, and put it in
a frying-pan full of fresh oil. Boil it, and then take it out immediately
and remove it so it drains of the oil. Let if float in a syrup of roses or
julep or skimmed honey. You might make raghîfs on raghîfs, filled inside,
and glue the margins together, and they will turn out circles and halves.
---

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/