ANST - art reference needed

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue Jul 11 16:42:33 PDT 2000

Hi Catherine,

Not much to work on, but here are some pointers which attempt to work in all
your details.  Not sure there are any exact matches, but maybe this will help
narrow your search.

***Disclaimer***  I am a heavy fighter, without looking it up I couldn't have
told you the difference between a  houpelande and a hula skirt.  For what it's
worth though, I do have a graduate minor in Art History.  Don't mean I'm smart,
just means I mighta seen the picture before.  :)

In looking at this I've been very liberal in what I called "houpelande." My
general definition was pretty much bare shoulder and/or neck, possible v-neck,
voluminous sleeve.  Some of the portraits suggested here are probably more
Italian Ren (ish), especially if we could see more of the dress, but I'm
shooting for images and artists that would be well known as opposed to
accurate.  Some other things, from your request, sounds like you are looking for
a "portrait" as opposed to a religious "Madonna" type painting, so I filtered
religious images out.  Most of the 14th century, pre- and proto- Renaissance
paintings were religious or allegorical. It's not until the mid 15th century do
we see many portraits.  Early Northern Renaissance (Dutch, Flemish, Netherlands,
Germany) rather than French is my guess as to the origin.  I was also very
liberal on what I called "pink and green".

Giving credit, Suzanne's comments are right on the money.  (I used her Van der
Weyden suggestion to get a mental pic of the dress).  There were several "Book
of Hours."  The Limbourg version was know as "Tres Riches Heures".  Of the
images there, "October" is probably the best known (at least you see it most
often the Medieval history books).  "April"  may be the one you are looking for
(lady in pink, houplande-ish dress).  Another possible is the "Book of Hours of
Etienne de Chevalier,"  1460.  This was illustrated by Jean Fouquet, definitely
French, and fairly close to your 14th century mark.

If we drop the French angle and the 14th century time fame (there are just not
many French painters pre- or proto- Renaissance), there are all kinds of
possibilities.

Some other portraitist to look at....  Some of these are Italian and the
portraits tend to be more "well known" than the artist, but it should help you
to separate out some of the non-portrait, non-religious painters of the time and
narrow down the specific artist or region.

Veneziano, Domenico "Portrait of a Young Woman", 1445.  Mostly threw this in
because the dress is red with green accents

Pollaiolo, Antonio del "Portrait of a Girl", about 1475.  Again, mostly for the
green and red dress.

Memling, Hans "Diptych of Jean de Cellier" c. 1475 Netherlands.  Several ladies
in period clothing on one of the panels.

Also check Lorenzo Lotto, Paolo Uccello, da Vinci's "Lady with an Ermine", left
panel (patrons) of the "Merode Alter Piece", and other portraits by Robert
Campin, Domenico Ghirlandaio, and Botticelli.

If that's not it try Jan van Eyck's "Giovanni Arnolfini", 1434 and Rogier van
der Weyden's "Portrait of a Lady"  1460.

Disregarding almost everything about your description, what popped to mind was
the 1536 "Jane Seymore" portrait by Hans Holbein the Younger.  Holbein is German
which puts him in the Northern Renaissance.  He did lots of portraits that are
well known.  The "Jane Seymore" is often seen in art history books and with
stuff associated with Jane Seymore.

Hope this helps.  There are of course a ton of others, but this might get you
started.  If you figure it out, please let me know and let me know if I can help
further.

Cheers,
DsD, Raven's Fort

places to look: