ANST - On Another subject entirely

Greg Shetler shetler at home.com
Thu Jun 1 06:10:53 PDT 2000

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> Yes, this is nice and should be experienced by consorts at least
> occasionally. However, to be present at each and every round, each
> and every tournament puts a strain on finding time to participate
> in other activities. If the lord is fighting in armored combat and
> the lady in rapier combat, which are often held simultaneously, is
> one to give up their activity to be consort for the other?

Yes, at least sometimes.  I think that it is much more important to try
to recreate the courtly graces than it is to have fun wacking the hell
out of people.  When our focus shifts from courtesy, chivalry, and grace
to pursuit of personal gratification, we have lost something very
important.

So: perhaps take turns being the "fighter" and the "consort" at any
given tourney.  Or stand on the sidelines in the gear you use to fight,
in order to watch your lord or lady fight, while keeping an ear for your
own pairing calls.  But be there as much as possible.

My lady and I both fight heavy.  And we are always there for each other,
unless we're both fighting at the exact same moment - which is
remarkably rare.

> Fighting and tournaments are not the only activity just one of
> the flashier ones. Had they been, then there would have been
> no need to create three seperate, but equal Peerages.

Again, perhaps it would be good to alternate.  One event, the fighter
and the tourney should be the focus.  The next event, the artisan's arts
competition should be the focus.  Support for one's consort is not
limited to those fighting on the list field, after all.

> Are classes, A&S displays and contests, archery, equestrian activities,
> or cooking the evening feast to be suspended during armored combat
> so the consorts can be present?

Of course not.  And the original poster was not, I believe, suggesting
that it should be.

> I think it is also possible and should be encouraged at such
> events as Lyonesse where pagentry is grand and everything is centered
> around the fighting.

It is possible at every event, provided there is some planning up front,
and a willingness to compromise on the part of both parties - so that
each gets support in their activities, and the courtly graces are not
forgotten.

Dux