ANST - Courtesy Crusade

Suzanne Cooke scooke at texas.net
Tue Jun 6 11:54:13 PDT 2000

Greetings Larissa and other Crusaders

I must say, this disturbs me. Courteous behavior should be
rewarded, not arbitrated.

Some kingdoms confer a non-armigerious award for gentles whose
courtesy stands as a role model to others - the East's Queen's
Order of Courtesy comes to mind.

While Larissa's concern for encouraging courteous and chivalrous
behavior has much merit; I cringe at what could be construed as
"Courtesy Police".  I wonder how those without armbands will be
viewed, will it escalate (and given human nature - it will) into
a cadre one "must" join if one wants to be viewed as "mannered".
Will it open the door for other "crusades" - like dressing
better, having better armor, the Better Pavilions and Campsites
Seal of Approval, Parlimentarianism?

I already feel squirmy at the posts that have reared.  With  Sir
Gunther - a Knight and a Duke raising the banner for "rude 'n
crude" and Mistress Larissa - a Laurel and a Duchess campaigning
for armbands to prove support of courtesy - I feel a bit sick.

The values of a group are a part of their culture.  Culture
change is a slow natural process, not a mandated one.  I plan to
work at changing the values I practice and model to more nearly
match the values that the SCA gives lip service to. I don't need
an armband.

Tamlin