ANST - Courtesy Crusade

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jun 6 15:09:26 PDT 2000

> I must say, this disturbs me. Courteous behavior should be
> rewarded, not arbitrated.

I don't think that is Larissa's aim. Basically she would like some
people who are dedicated to the high ideals of honor and courtesy
to wear a symbol of that devotion. Basically, although I sometimes
make fun of my position, I hold the white belt as my symbol demanding
the same regimen. This favor is to be the "white belt" of its adherents.
As the belt brings honor it also brings duty. If I behave in an unseemly
manner the dishonor is doubled because of the symbol about my
waist. If someone wearing this favor is tempeted to be rude
or discourteous then the favor about his or her arm will remind them
of their duty.

It is not meant to be used as a weapon against ill-mannered louts
like myself but more of a target painted on those who will strive
to be the ladies and gentlemen to which all of us who dream of
the ideal of honor and chivalry wish to become.

> While Larissa's concern for encouraging courteous and chivalrous
> behavior has much merit; I cringe at what could be construed as
> "Courtesy Police".

If someone wearing such an armband comes up to me and declares
me to be an uncivilized lout then I will remind them of their
discourteous behaviour. I view the favor to be more of a reminder
to the bearer he or she needs to mind his or her manners and
not a deputy badge to harrass the unwashed masses.

> I wonder how those without armbands will be
> viewed, will it escalate (and given human nature - it will) into
> a cadre one "must" join if one wants to be viewed as "mannered".
> Will it open the door for other "crusades" - like dressing
> better, having better armor, the Better Pavilions and Campsites
> Seal of Approval, Parlimentarianism?

It's strange but I don't see a problem with something that
encourages better dress, more period campsites, armor as befitting
a knight, or granting the people the power to consult with their
Crown.

> I already feel squirmy at the posts that have reared.  With  Sir
> Gunther - a Knight and a Duke raising the banner for "rude 'n
> crude" and Mistress Larissa - a Laurel and a Duchess campaigning
> for armbands to prove support of courtesy - I feel a bit sick.

A couple of gentle corrections here. Formost, I do thank you for
the vote of confidence but I'm a mere Count. I've only made the
mistake once.

Secondus, I'm not truly advocating "rude and crude" but I am
poking fun at the fact that I'll just never be able to behave properly.
I'm still too much of an old soldier and former pig farmer to ever
be a courteous knight that I'm supposed to be.  I'm a bit too
blunt and ofttimes too silly to be a polite icon.

But at the same time I do not condone rude and boorish behavior.
There is an undercurrent of courtesy that should pervade all we
do. Louts and "barbarian" types have no place in a Society based
on chivalry and honor. Yes, I'm "rude and crude" but only to
my friends.

> I plan to
> work at changing the values I practice and model to more nearly
> match the values that the SCA gives lip service to. I don't need
> an armband.

And that's fine for you. The armband idea was spawned and supported
by people willing to both put their money where their mouth is and as
a show of support for others willing to stand in the spotlight.

I accepted such a symbol just over 10 years ago and still try to live
up to it. As long as these people do the same I will not stand in their
way.

> Tamlin

Yours,

Count Sir Gunthar Jonsson, Baron, CIM
(Proud of them all even though I sometimes don't act that way.)