ANST - Courtesy Crusade

Rolf Kvamme baron_duncan at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:08:49 PDT 2000

>I must say, this disturbs me. Courteous behavior should be
>rewarded, not arbitrated.

Through period and in other places in the sca do these types of groups and
"crusades" exist..The fabric of time and space still remains unharmed.  What
is a tourney company, but part authenticity crusade, part courtesy crusade,
and an excuse to fight.  I am sorry..I dont need an armband to have words
with someone who watches a lady struggle with a cooler and say from their
seat.."hey that looks heavy".

>While Larissa's concern for encouraging courteous and chivalrous
>behavior has much merit; I cringe at what could be construed as
>"Courtesy Police".  I wonder how those without armbands will be
>viewed, will it escalate (and given human nature - it will) into
>a cadre one "must" join if one wants to be viewed as "mannered".
>Will it open the door for other "crusades" - like dressing
>better, having better armor, the Better Pavilions and Campsites
>Seal of Approval, Parlimentarianism?

I think you missed the boat.  Ther are plenty of organizations that do that
already.  I have been on a crusade for a year and a half to get armour and
garb better looking. It has worked well without putting anyone off. Are we
so afraid of goal orientated people, that when someone wants to make an
effort to get people into better head gear, they should be shut down in fear
that someone will be offended? If you like it..join and have fun..if not..no
one is forcing you.

>I already feel squirmy at the posts that have reared.  With  Sir
>Gunther - a Knight and a Duke raising the banner for "rude 'n
>crude" and Mistress Larissa - a Laurel and a Duchess campaigning
>for armbands to prove support of courtesy - I feel a bit sick.

Gunther was joking not raising a banner..Larissa and gunther are close
friends and tease each other. I just don't know what to tell you about
feeling sick about two people ribbing eachother.

I hope you reconsider your strong words and opinions.  THis is still
mundanely the good ol US of A and no one is goign to spirit you off to a
encampmnet for the less curtious *grin*

Duncan