ANST - SCA PEERS

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jun 21 14:39:40 PDT 2000

Lady Alina,

> Is there more to being a knight than just being able to hit with a big
> stick, compared to a laurel and/or pelican? Pelican give service that
> helps keep the SCA function going. Laurels demonstrate, promote, and
> teach the arts. Then you have the dons that kinda does the same thing
> the knights do, but with rapier equipment.

Okay, there are several layers to this question.

The first is that, yes, there is more to being a knight than being a good
armored combatant. Although prowess with the weapons of the tournament
is the primary focus of the Chivalry it isn't the only thing.

You mention how the Pelicans and Laurels add to the kingdom but you
must remember that a knight's job extends past the tourney field.  Not only
are the members of the Chivalry required to instruct in the arts of war but
they are also usually active in service or arts as well. Another duty of the
Chivalry is to protect the kingdom. Now that can be looked as a part of
the fantasy but it is also literal. When there is trouble brewing at an event,
whether it be a drunk threatening people with a knife, political strive among
a group's members, or trouble with some mundanes a member of the chivalry
is frequently called upon to handle it. The Chivalry also has an obligation
to beautify the kingdom on the list field as well. By dressing well and
fighting beautifully and honorably it is a knight's job to keep the standards
of the kingdom high.  Knights are in the spotlight at all times and so must
work hard to maintain the standards of courtesy and chivalry that the
populace expects of a knight.

Of course members of the Chivalry are human, as are Pelicans and Laurels,
and so do not meet all that is asked of them. But that is the job nonetheless.

> Yet the knights have a higher ranking than the other peerages.

I fear you are incorrect there. By law all of the Peerages rank as equals.
The only difference in a Knight and a Pelican in the Order of Precidence
is the date each individual was created a Peer.

Some Knights may outrank other Peerages but that may only be because
they have been rulers and thus of Royal status. But Pelicans and Laurels,
in fact those who have not become Peers, have the same opportunity.

> Just Asking,

I hope this may have cleared up some confusion.

> Lady Alina

Gunthar Jonsson, Knight