ANST - SCA PEERS

Mike Young uther at lcc.net
Wed Jun 21 15:12:12 PDT 2000

Greetings Lady Alina Mitchell,

You wrote:

>Is there more to being a knight than just being able to hit with a big
>stick, compared to a laurel and/or pelican? Pelican give service that
>helps keep the SCA function going. Laurels demonstrate, promote, and
>teach the arts. Then you have the dons that kinda does the same thing
>the knights do, but with rapier equipment. Yet the knights have a higher
>ranking than the other peerages. Why aren't all the peerages on the same
>level in ranking? This is not intended to insult those who are knights,
>I just want to hear people's view on the peerages.

As someone who is not a peer, my view may not be what you are looking for,
but here it is for what it's worth.

There is a lot more to each of the peerages than what you have described.
There are also peers who are active in more than one circle.  In any Peer
you should find very simular overall qualities, reguardless of the Circle.
They will all be talented, promote their skill through teaching or other
avenues, be well-rounded in the SCA, serve, and have a vision of the Dream.
 The Knights may be more "visible" than the other orders, but any idea of
them being a higher rank is an individual perception, not one of the
Society as a whole.  I believe we have had this discussion on this list
before...it is probably archived in the Florigium if Stefan would be so
kind as to post the URL.  There is a lot to be said of our peerage here in
Ansteorra.  If I remember, there was an excellent discussion.

in service,
HL Gwyneth Blackrose