ANST - Gulf War reports

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Mon Mar 20 12:31:11 PST 2000

At 02:08 PM 3/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >> The War normaly ends with a tie so that we have to come back next year. If
> >> one side won there would be no reason to do it again next year.
>

>Huh?  Pennsic always has a winner and they always manage to come back
>next year. I don't get this reason at all.  Having a winner is just part
>of the fun. I would much rather have a winner than have a tie, even if
>that winner was not Ansteorra! What's the purpose of points if there is
>no winner? I have to deal with political correctness every day at my
>son's school where winning or being outstanding is 'bad' and I don't want
>to have this in the SCA.
>
>Clarissa

I like the idea that the war always ends in a tie, we KNOW how the points
really go, but I like the tradition.  Remember that over the years
Ansteorra has participated in two other wars, Ansteorra vs Middle (3 years)
and Ansteorra vs Outlands (3 years).  Both wars came to an abrupt end the
year that Ansteorra dominated all of the competitions and won the wars
totally.  Also, we did not choose to end the wars, our opponents did.  So
this may have had an influence in the original decision to always declare a
tie.

Burke