ANST - Gulf War reports

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 20 13:40:19 PST 2000

> I like the idea that the war always ends in a tie, we KNOW how the points
> really go, but I like the tradition.  Remember that over the years
> Ansteorra has participated in two other wars, Ansteorra vs Middle (3
years)
> and Ansteorra vs Outlands (3 years).  Both wars came to an abrupt end the
> year that Ansteorra dominated all of the competitions and won the wars
> totally.  Also, we did not choose to end the wars, our opponents did.  So
> this may have had an influence in the original decision to always declare
> tie.
>
> Burke

I think that the idea that bothers everyone isn't so much the idea of
declaring a tie in the spirit of fellowship, but rather the fact that
sometimes it is portrayed as _really_ being a tie when it isn't.  I do care
whether we or our opponents win, just as I care on the field of tournament
combat whether I or my opponent wins.  Not because I am likely to be upset
or petulant, but because I wish to be able to acknowledge a good blow fairly
struck  and give my opponent his rightful honor, just as I would  upon the
tourney field.  Declaring the tie may be one way of saying that we will not
allow the pursuit of victory to get in the way of the pursuit of our
chivalric ideals, but it also prevents me from saying "Well struck, mi'lord,
I am fairly vanquished!" before we go off to have a friendly beer together.
Certainly, declare the war a tie no matter how the points come out, but if
we are to have points at all, let them be fairly tallied and reported as
such.  Besides, I like to know just where we need work for next year and if
it is difficult to determine how the points come out things can get very
murky.  And I believe that murkiness could become the cause for more
distress and bad feelings than having a clear winner or loser.

Personally, I find that it grates on my nerves a bit, but it certainly won't
put me off the Greatest War in the Known World (tm).
Can't wait for next year, Trimaris is bound to come out swinging!

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer