ANST - Newcomers

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Mar 27 11:58:56 PST 2000

Alauna wrote:
> I am the guilty one of bringing up newcomer information at the Red Tape event. I have been in the SCA for a year now and even with that experience, a lot of the newcomer information STILL doesn't make sense and is not too readily available. I have volunteered to review the information that is currently available and make suggestions about it, as well as how newbies can be better informed of how things work and what things are.

While you may be looking for Ansteorra specific info for some
of your questions, perhaps some of the files in the NEWCOMERS
section of my Florilegium might help with others. For instance,
these files might be of interest:
4-newcomers-msg   (27K) 12/29/99    Comments directed at SCA newcomers.
callig-beg-msg     (9K)  3/12/96    Hints for beginning calligraphers.
courtesy-msg      (32K)  1/19/96    Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and
period.
                                       Hand-kissing and bowing.
Getting-an-AoA-art (9K)  6/22/98    "How to Get an AoA" by Gunnora
Hallakarva.
intro-books-msg   (36K)  6/ 8/99    Recommended books on the Middle Ages
and
                                       Renaissance.
names-FAQ         (14K)  5/ 8/96    Choosing and registering names in
the SCA.
SCA-courtesy-art  (14K)  5/22/96    Courtesy guidelines by Ioseph of
Locksley.
SCA-intro-art     (20K)  2/21/00    "Life in the Current Middle Ages",
                                       An Introduction to the SCA.
SCA-Rialto-FAQ    (56K)  6/26/98    SCA FAQ list from the Rialto
(rec.org.sca).
SCA-trans-msg     (18K)  1/ 4/96    How to handle the move from one
group to
                                      another. For the people in the
group too.

I highly recommend this last file for SCA folks moving from one region
another. It might help you avoid making mistskes which could make your
joining your new group difficult.

My files are on the web at: http://www.florilegium.org

And of course, I am always looking for additional comments or articles.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net