ANST - Gulf Wars

Chris Backus cbackus at enid.com
Sat Mar 25 15:11:56 PST 2000

Some of the highlights of Gulf Wars for me were marching into area before
the rapier melee with a pike block followed by all our rapier forces.  When
the melee started Trimaris attacked a small group of mixed Caidans and
Ansteorrans.  Our cavalry units pinned them against the fort and destroyed
them.  When a few were left, we granted them honorable combat.  Lady
Alleshandra from (I think) Aethlemark was legged, but still took about five
skilled Ansteorrans in honorable combat before Ld. Avery Shaw, fighting from
the ground as well, gave his life and killed her in the process.  She was
given a Queen's Rapier later in the war for her skill and great heart.

King Mittian of Trimaris had suggested that he and Her Majesty Kayleigh
fight for the war point, being that they were both White Scarves.  She
declined, but did grant him a fight, which she won.

In the rapier Champions' battle we had twenty-eight champions, because King
Mittian had wanted to let as many of his fighters play as possible, again
showing the incredible heart of Trimaris.  Ansteorra won almost every bout,
I believe winning the tournament before Trimaris won their first bout.  The
final talley was something like three losses, four double kills, and
twenty-one victories for Ansteorra.

I was awed by the Chivalric fighting.  Many things stand out, but my
favorite was seeing Ansteorra sally forth from the castle on the call of lay
on.  Our fighters did not hide from the Trimarans, but went forth to destroy
their archers and siege engines.  The battle raged for a long time, but in
the end a shield wall of Calons held against Trimaris and her allies.

These are just a few of my impressions, confined to what I saw.  Thank you
for the chance to tell them.

Hawkins