ANST - Children

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed May 31 22:36:15 PDT 2000

Oh remember those times to well. I basically had to leave the SCA for two
years because of my children. I remember an event where I was stuck in
the play ground with my two boys because they wouldn't stay with anyone
else and shortly I was watching 20 children. I could not leave because
there was no one to turned them over to. I was expected at an activity
with some political overtones and could not get there because I would not
leave young children under the age of six on a playground by themselves.
The people who I slighted never forgave me.  The parents of the children
didn't thank me either. One day I over heard a young mother tell a
newcomer it was alright to bring children to events and let them run free
because everyone would watch the children. This shocked me to the core
and tried to never bring my kids to events unless I could make
arrangement. I have been very thankful to all the people who helped me
over the years.
It is very dangerous to leave your children with someone you don't know
even if they are in the SCA. When my boys were two a "SCA friend" offered
to watch my children for Coronation. I was pleased with the offer but the
day before the event my mother offered to take them. Two weeks later I
learned that the young man who offered to watch my two boys was arrested
for child porn with his own son.  This drove home the point to me that
the SCA was not a safe place. When His Grace made his statements at 12 th
many years ago that the police had found information the showed that
certain cults had targeted the SCA as a place where children could be
gotten., I was not surprised.  Too many people are to trusting. It is
very important for parents to keep an eye on their own children.
Willow