ANST - On Another subject entirely

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed May 31 21:28:57 PDT 2000

I agreed with Duchess Larissa.
Courtly behavior such as salutes and interaction between the lords and
ladies make the SCA special. These are some of things I am talking about
when I talk about lack of role playing and magic. There are many things
that we do in the magical kingdom of Ansteorra that we don't do in our
everyday life. We did them first because we were recreating the dream of
a time long gone by. We learned about them though our studies into the
culture and the stories and songs of the bards. People don't do these
things naturally they are something we learn to do because we play the
game. When we tell people that they should not do role playing  and they
should only be "real"  many people think that means they should not do
courtesies. Many of our new comers view that as fake role playing.
Playing the part of a lord or lady in the kingdom of Ansteora should be
the goal of all of us. Trying to make Ansteorra seem real should be
something that all of us should be working on.
 Courtesies and nobleness and courtly behavior are things we all value
and it is important that we make a show of them. I think we should make
a point of using titles. Not  just to people who have brass on their
heads but to everyone. The person who just got his AOA is tickled pink to
be called "Lord". We should practice our bows and fine speeches. Lords
and ladies should try to promote "courtly love" by working on their
flirting. We should encourage the bards to "teach us" about the courtly
arts by telling us the teaching stories of long ago. That was how young
people learned the courtly art in the medieval times.
These things make our kingdom special. They give us style. I remember a
story about us at the first Gulf Wars. There was a young lady doing water
bearing  in a very short and see though chain mail outfit. The Trimirians
were making very modern comments while our fighters made very courtly
statements to the young lady. Later that day in the ladies washroom the
ladies of Trimaris  were talking about how special Ansteorran men were.
One of them asked an Ansteorran lady why our men knew how to treat
ladies. She answered "Research! They study the medieval masters."
Yours
Duchess Willow de Wisp