ANST - Re: ansteorra V2 #297

Decker, Terry D. TerryD at health.state.ok.us
Fri Oct 13 11:33:02 PDT 2000

> If you expect your boss, or your significant other to treat you like a
> knight would, you are cruising for a bruising on a short road.  The
> dream is refuge and inspiration-but you must awaken sometime.
> Be ready.
> Don't expect to bring it home with you.
>
> Rupert

Excuse me.  If your SO is not the most important person in your life and not
worthy of the best you can afford them, why the hell are you together?  Yes,
you will argue.  Yes, your habits will be grating.  Yes, you will have
problems.  But courtesy and gentility provide the oil to keep your
partnership from burning up.  I am far more punctiliously correct in my
behavior toward my wife, than I am to anyone else.

As for the rest, in or out of the SCA, you are measured by your demeanor,
your actions and your abilities.  If you find the SCA more comfortable than
the everyday world, perhaps you need to bring your SCA values to your
everyday values.  There are petty, boorish people everywhere, even in the
SCA, but you don't have to allow them to spoil your pleasure.  If you do,
you will not realize the fullness of being.

I will admit a miserable boss is a blight on the workday.  The last time I
had one making my life miserable, I went back to school for a year, changed
professions, and moved on.  You can always vote with your feet.

Bear