ANST - Re: History Repeats Itself

Greg Shetler mordockvonrugen at home.com
Mon Apr 16 18:51:26 PDT 2001

Let's revisit the apparent statistics being set up here.

It's not the number of shafts loosed that should be considered - but
rather the percentage that hit a person's body.

At a guess, looking simply at the number of casualties, I'd say that
perhaps 60-90 people in the fort battle were hit in the body by a
missile weapon.  The open field battles had perhaps half that.  The
resurrection battle, because of the increased duration, probably had 4
times that.  So about 500-600 missile strikes.

We had three reported incidents of clearly unsafe conditions.

By comparison, there were (again, just based on looking at the number of
folks who fell down) at least 5 (probably closer to 10) times as many
rattan weapon blows that landed on bodies.  There were some complaints
about weapons hitting too hard, and others regarding rules of
engagement, and so forth (just as there were numerous complaints about
crossbow bolts hitting way too hard).  But how many injuries did we have
due to weapons?  As far as I know, none.

Is the concern just a bit clearer, now?  This is not just a bunch of
guys crying 'cause they don't want archery and see an excuse for getting
it off the field.

Dux