[Ansteorra] Newcomer help

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Mon Dec 31 13:27:36 PST 2001

One of the things that I have heard newcomers lament about is that they do
not _know_ they can just start asking questions.  They worry about asking
the wrong thing, or bothering the wrong person.

It can be very intimidating at your first encounter, because everyone
seems to know each other, and they all appear to be a cohesive group, with
you on the outside.

It can be very helpful to have people at practices and demos who will walk
up to newcomers and ask if there is anything they'd like to learn about.
By doing this it allows them to understand that they can just start asking
about anything they see.

Before moving to Ansteorra, the barony I resided in had a _very_
enthusiastic voluteer to do this, and she did an amazing job of helping
newcomers feel much more comfortable and welcomed.  She attended all the
practices, events, and demos she could.  She had prepared information
sheets, and there were at least several people in each area she could call
over to help explain the particulars of a style of fighting or a type of
handicraft.  She had lists of contact information for people willing to
assist newcomers.

Mostly, though, she was there to talk to people who saw what we were doing
and were curious.  She helped them find the answers to questions they
didn't know how to ask.

Timid or quiet newcomers could be greatly assisted by sca members
approaching them, rather than assuming they will speak up when they are
curious enough.

Audette des Grenouilles