[Ansteorra] Newcomer help

LEE A LEMONS lalemons at flash.net
Mon Dec 31 14:03:27 PST 2001

I agree, Mahee!  Ask a newcomer to sit with you at feast!  If it is during
the day, ask them to join you in whatever activity you're doing (shameless
plug for charter painting), and so on.  I never really felt a part of a
group or an event until I was actually involved in an activity, whether
working in the kitchen cutting up vegetables, someone showing me how to
throw an ax, or if the person just took the time to find out what I was
interested in and managed to direct me to someone who could help me out.

The lonliest time at an event, for me, was at feast.  No one to sit with,
everyone seemed to be in some household or group, and all the table spaces
were reserved for someone else.  For the truly shy people in our Society,
feast  is just a horrible time and usually the time to go home.  Please
don't assume someone has a place to sit or someone to be with, even if they
look like they have been playing forever.  Ask, ask, ask!  : )

Curstaidh