ANST - Gulf War

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon Feb 26 16:22:56 PST 2001

At 05:24 PM 2/26/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> > gtaylor wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of putting up something of a FAQ list for newish SCA
> > > members who are attending Gulf War for the first time.  Locally, also,
>I> > volunteered to run a "first time to War" get-together/class for our
> > > newer folks on the same subject.  So...this leaves me here trying to
> > > remember what it was like goign to war for the first time.    I have
> > > some ideas...but would like to hear from others (particularly those
> > > newer) about what folks should know their first time to war.
> > >
> > > Things that I've thought a little about:
> > > Pack in plastic
> > > Mealplans available on site.  Or, try to coordinate food with
> > > friends/group.
> > > You are going to walk long distances.
> > > You're goign to camp really near to other folks.
> > > It's going to rain.
> > > Merchant row is wonderful and Midnight madness is cool.
> > > Don't buy a pup-tent for war (or general SCA) use.
> > > Folks from other kingdoms have different fighting customs/rules.  Don't
> > > be snitty about it.
> > > It'll be from the teens to the 80's out.  Be prepared for anything,
> > > temperature-wise.
> > > Try to bring enough garments that you don't have to repeat, much....
> > >
> > > Isobel
> > > Kingdom Hospitaler

>If you are driving more than 8 or 10 hours to get to Gulf Wars, do you and
>your friends a favor and plan a night in a motel if possible.  I have been
>on the receiving end of 16 hour car trips, and it isn't pleasant.
>
>Jean Paul de Sens
>Mooneschadowe.
>
>Carl Chipman
>Nomadics, Inc.
>cchipman at nomadics.com
>http://www.nomadics.com

I would also plan out the trip well in advance.  Make sure that you have
filled up you gas tank before you leave the Interstate Highway system.  Gas
stations along 49 (between Jackson and Hattiesburg) are few and a number of
them don't take credit cards or stay open late at night.
The night in the motel is a very good idea unless you just like driving 15
hours (northern Ansteorra) and then getting out to set up camp.  Remember
that a lot of people do get motel rooms for Gulf Wars so within about 40
miles most of them are booked up.   Good shoes are a must and I don't mean
NIKE's.  Bring extra towels because even on the days that it doesn't rain
the humidity is very Stargate like, so towels don't dry fast.  Bring the
complete set of clothes you will drive home in packed separately and leave
them in the car, this way they will be clean and dry when you get ready to
go home.  Bring paper plates instead of feast gear. There is no grand feast
and cleaning up you feast gear is a mess when you have no hot
water,  besides in some cultures it would be a mark of great wealth to be
able to eat off of a paper plate.

Sir Burke