[Ansteorra] Role Playing Was:bryn glad

Greg Shetler mordockvonrugen at home.com
Sun Jun 17 06:40:33 PDT 2001

Having been a participant in live action role-playing and the SCA, both
-

"Role playing" without the connotation of a game similar to those
currently in vogue (Vampire, Nero, etc) is exactly what we do - within
limits.  We don't have characters killed, and we don't include the
crushing oppression that was frequently the lot for foreigners,
peasants, women, or those of lesser rank.  But we do assume roles and
play them.

However, most newbies who hear "role playing" immediately assume it's
like Nero, Vampire, et al, and start asking questions about how to
create a character, how to get it approved, who the storytellers are,
what to do when a character dies, and how to kill other characters.
They also start asking about magic, and elves, and such.  Comments like
"we aren't a role playing game" probably come from a desire to forestall
this reaction....

Dux