[Ansteorra] Electronic publishing

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Thu May 31 10:13:45 PDT 2001

Greetings from Michael Silverhands:

Sluggy wrote:

> Karie Mitchell wrote:
>
> > >One that I personally favor is unbundling the membership from the
> > >three we have now) and making the Kingdom newsletter, TI, and all >other
> > >publications subscription based.
> >
> > That does sound like a reasonable idea.
>
> I agree that separating the BlackStar subscription from membership would be a
> great way to solve the problem, especially for the long term. This would allow
> the actual cost of the newsletter to be recovered without depending on
> fundraising. I suspect, however, that SCA corporate might be resistant to such a
> change because the other kingdoms don't seem to have this problem.

Excuse me, but that isn't true. It isn't even anywhere near true. Virtually
every kingdom faces this same shortfall. It is a matter of much discussion among
the Kingdom Chroniclers how best to solve this problem. A couple of Kingdoms
publish very spare, thin newsletters to get under the 2 oz threshold. Most
Kingdoms have routine fundraisers of some kind. Some Kindgdoms have, as a part
of their tradition, annual events that raise thousands (yes, thousands) of
dollars earmarked for their Kingdom newsletter.

> It would be
> interesting to find out if other kingdom newsletters are indeed facing similar
> shortfalls and if so, what their solutions have been.

I have posted previously that they do. I do so now again.

[snip]

> In short, an electronic version is not for everyone, but I suspect a number of
> people would be quite willing to receive their newsletter electronically and
> every person who did so would help alleviate the financial strain of printing
> and mailing a physical newsletter.
>
> Lord Robert of Slugglen, Chronicler Loch Ruadh
> b.k.a. Sluggy!

I agree that many would gladly receive their newsletter in electronic form.
However, the society is not yet ready to make that change, for a variety of
reasons. This very issue was discussed at exceeding length at a society-wide
meeting recently (ask Pug about it). The short answer is: this isn't going to
happen anytime soon. If you wish to pursue this idea, I encourage you to do so
with the SCA Electronic Publications Manager (listed in the Black Star).

Finally, I disagree that unbundling the newsletter from membership is a good
idea. I am a member of many societies, clubs and organizations. Every one of
them that publishes a newsletter, ties the newsletter to membership. It is a
benefit of membership - in some cases, the only tangible, visible benefit of
membership. How many of you would be members, if you could subscribe to (or
electronically access) the newsletter without being a member?

Yours,
Michael Silverhands
Kingdom Chronicler (interim), Ansteorra