[Ansteorra] newcomer question

bowermanm bowermanm at mail.ev1.net
Thu Nov 8 07:57:52 PST 2001

Greetings my lord,
I recommend myself to you.  After reading a number of messages on
period attire I feel that I should offer my humble opinion.  While
a quick T-Tunic and sweats can be easy on the pocketbook, I think
you will find that a complete outfit from one period (head to toe)
will only be marginally more money and time given certain
caveats.  These caveats involve taking the time to research what
period and region you are interested in, and then find someone
that is fairly experienced in making, or obtaining the items
needed to achieve the appearance you are after.  The basic thing
to remember is you will only get out of the SCA what you put into
it.  If you put little effort into your involvement, you will more
than likely only get so much out of the events that you attend.
If you are interested in learning about one period or another my
limited experience says wade into it, live and breath your period
once you have found it, read historical novels, and listen to
period music.  Find those who share your interests and share your
world with them.  Feed off each other’s enthusiasm as if it were
the sweet breath of a muse.  Before long you will look back on
years of happy memories populated by good friends, memories that
like stars never fade as long as there is light in their heart,
the light of your desire to learn more.

Lord Rodrigo de Navarra
Honor est praemium virtutis.
Honour is virtue's reward.