[Ansteorra] It happened one Protectorate

Timothy Rayburn timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 06:18:42 PDT 2001

An permanent augmentation of arms, granted by the crown, does not
usually take the form of the arms of a barony in Canton.  It much more
commonly takes the shape of the addition of a major charge to the
person's device from the devices used by the Kingdom.

For instance, Galen of Bristol was granted an augmentation by TRM
Daffydd and Octavia.  His device was :

Gules, a bend wavy between two double bitted axes Or.

Post augmentation it became :

Gules, a bend wavy between two double bitted axes Or, as an
augmentation a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable upon
the bend.

The right of the first Baron of a group to bear the arms in canton of
that group is technically an augmentation, but is not granted by the
crown like those given this weekend, instead it is simply an understood
honor.

Hope this helps,

Lord Timothy of Glastonbury
Pursuivant Extraordinary