[Ansteorra] Youth of Ansteorra

becky demonja wyrdling at swbell.net
Tue Sep 18 13:03:52 PDT 2001

I am very pleased to see you focusing on an often forgotten age group.  As
the father of two teen daughters I can very easily agree.  They are a source
of joy and energy.  But one that has to be used with care.  Because these
young people are very emotional, and easily upset.  Even the best of them
can take a great slight and the least of things.  So I feel the first thing
we have to do is include them in any plans we even talk over.  Because they
want to be treated as adults, and if we just make plans then we are treating
them like kids.   So I feel it is very important that we try to encourage
the youth of the kingdom to let us know what they want.  An then help them
to get it.

As for ideas.  The only thing that the teens cannot do that the rest of us
can is full combat and brewing.  So I say encourage what ever teen you have
with you to act like the adult they want to be.  Find the things they are
into and go from there.  Do what ever we would to include any group of
adults, but with a few extra eyes on them.

My next thought is a quote I heard a long time ago.  Use a period solution
for a period problem.  So how were the youths encouraged, inspired,
organized, and overseen in period?   Is there anything there we could use.
I don't remember ever seeing anything about this age group in my general
research, but it may be a good place to start.

That an encourage the adults around you who see such great  work to write
letters of recommendation to the crown for AOA's or what ever award may be
proper.  If the youth see they are being seen.  They will step up and shine.
An may be would could include a youth on the organizational level.  Make
sure they are invited and represented by one of there own from the kingdom
level down.

We I hope this gets a few of you thinking about how to work with and for
these wonderful members of our truly unique society.  As always I remain

In Service to the Dream

Lord Aidan MacAlpin
David Demonja