[Ansteorra] Round Shields

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Apr 8 08:52:03 PDT 2002

Ulf Gunnarsson asked:
> I'd be interested in playing with this theory a little bit,
> but some other
> questions immediately come up.  Why did the round shield
> disappear?  Was
> there a change in sword steel quality at the same time as its
> disappearance?
> Was it a cultural assimilation thing?  Was it due to a change
> in military
> tactics?  Is there something I'm overlooking here?

Well, as to its disappearance, it may have to do with changes
in tactics. If I remember correctly, the Norse fought mostly
on foot with swords or maces. The kite, and to a lessor extent,
the shield-shaped shield (there has got to be a name for this
shape), are more effective than the round when the soldier is
mounted and using a lance as the main weapon, because it gives
more protection to the leg.

Also, I believe much of the tactics with using the round shield
have to do with rotating the shield to meet the blow. It may
be less effective when it is simply hung, which is going to be
more of the case when being used with a lance.

Interesting questions. I'm interested in seeing what other
folks have to say.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net