[Ansteorra] Authenticity

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Tue Apr 16 19:34:59 PDT 2002

Yes.  I've done it.  But it's all in my head, for my own amusement purposes.  I
never felt the need to write it down in detail and make others read it.  But it
was important to me to be able to explain everything I did as in relation to my
persona, though only to myself.
    Knowing that in period spelling conventions did not exist, I at one time
amused myself by signing/writing my name with a variety of spellings, varying
from one to another to another, etc.  This seemed to upset and confuse people
who wanted to know and use only the "correct" spelling (especially heralds) so I
left off doing it.  Interestingly, what seemed to worry people was that they
would misspell my name and offend me, since nowadays it is considered
inappropriate to misspell a person's name.  An interesting development over the
ages from a time when such a concept did not exist.

Catrin ferch Gwilym

Catrin ferch Gwilym