[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Mon Apr 22 13:38:19 PDT 2002

Luciano stated:

You're absolutely right and it is most definitely a problem.  How to fix it
is a trickier prospect. The easy answer is "convince them to stay on site
longer".  The hard part is coming up with the actual means of doing it.

Pendaran's Response:

I don't know about anyone else, but guilt worked well for me. As soon as I
realized just how guilty I was of day tripping so many events, I began
camping more and enjoying myself more. Of course, with a toddler, Jehanne
and I can't camp as often as we used to, but I am making a concerted effort
to camp more than I have in recent past.

One suggestion for getting people to stay: Give them a reason. Specifically,
how about creating a nice bardic circle? Notice I said "create". To be
honest, I don't think that its enough to simply tell people that there will
be a bardic circle after court, it has to be set up. 	The event steward
and/or noble/sponsor should advertise in advance
	Find a nice spot on site (away from bright lights and other
mundanities)
	Decorate with banners
	Light it properly (torches/camp fire)
	Provide drink (if possible)

Bryn Gwlad did this with some success last fall and I suggest that others
try to revive this old custom. Anyway, that's just one idea for keeping
people on site, there must several others out there.

Pendaran