[Ansteorra] Marshalling gauges

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Mon Apr 22 14:49:43 PDT 2002

Answer and comments below...

Jean Paul de Sens

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com
http://www.nomadics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Pug Bainter
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 4:33 PM
To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Marshalling gauges

Carl Chipman (cchipman at nomadics.com) said something that sounded like:
> 3" Thrusting tips
> 2" Thrusting tips
> 1.25" (low profile) thrusting tips and haft thickness

As well as arrow/bolt head diameters, insides of fiberglass spears and
stricking edges.

[Carl Chipman] Insides of fiberglass spears should actually be 1". The
total diameter is 1.25", and with .125" on either side, that only leaves
1".

> 1" bar for checking helm bar spacing
> 5/32" 1/8" and 3/32" wall thickness checks for fiberglass spears

Don't we only need 1/8"? What are the others for?

[Carl Chipman] Cause nothing is perfect :)  Ansteorra's exact wordings
of the rules on fiberglass spears state in one clause that the wall
thickness must be no more that 1/8" thick.  In another clause, it states
that the wall thickness can be no more than 1/8".  Since it is almost
utterly improbable that ANYTHING will be EXACTLY 1/8", Sir Wilhelm added
in 1/32" of leeway on the standard.  1/8" plus or minus 1/32 gives us
3/32" for the minimum wall thickness, and 5/32" for the maximum wall
thickness.  The gauge has a graduated stepping, so that if doesn't go
in, its too thick, if it goes in to the first notch (5/32") its above
but within range, if it goes in to the second notch, its ok, and if it
goes into the 3rd notch, its too small.

Can we add 5/16" and 1/4" for wood and fiberglass arrows/bolts
respectively?

[Carl Chipman] lemme post the picture, and I'll see.  It may drive the
price up, and we'd have to find a place on the gauge to put it.

> This seems to be the things that have the most problem passing, so I
> included them.
>
> If we order 100 of them out of GP03 (a 3/16" rigid fiberglass resin -
> reddish color), we can get them for around $5.50 a piece.

Since this is the case, would they be able to have lettering put on/in
them as to *what* the different parts of the gauge are for.

[Carl Chipman] I'll ask.

> Please either reply publicly or privately if you’d be interested in
> getting some, or if you have suggestions.

I'd be interested.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "What about your friends?
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   They're Defective!