[Ansteorra] Feasts and Special Diets (was History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....)

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 19:36:46 PDT 2002

> > Sir Burke, A lot of times I don't get the feast due to the special diet
I'm
> > on low salt and low carb. I find I can get one or the other but not
both.
> > I do camp, I would eat more feasts if I could get a low salt meat feast.
> > If who ever is doing a feast could do a feast with meat and cheeses more
> > it would be great for a few of us.
> > Ld Carlos

And I second HL Suzanne's words about talking to the head cook beforehand.
I actually plan ahead for people with special needs in most of my feasts,
and rarely add salt when cooking.  (I am not used to cooking with salt, we
add it at table, and when multiplying up to several hundred it can do weird
things.)  I don't think I salted anything in the last two feasts I did in
Ansteorra except the rice (it cooks better with a bit of salt), and the
broth cubes had salt but that was just one dish out of two feasts.

Also, if you are on a low-salt diet I would stay away from cheeses, as most
of them have a LOT of salt included.  My feasts tend to meat and vegetables,
enough carbs to balance but not intermingled so you can easily avoid them.
For those who avoid meat, it is easily identified and so avoided.  Likewise
those who think vegetables are EEeee-vil.  <G>

This is something I teach when I do my "How to Cook a Feast" class, and to a
lesser extent my "Cooking for Camping" class, which I reprised for the March
meeting of Steppes Cooking Guild.  (How's that for a sly commercial
announcement?)  However, not everybody is cognizant that there are people
who eat differently from them, or know that you CAN cook period and
resembles-period food very well while keeping an eye out for people with
dietary difficulties.

                                                        ---= Morgan