[Ansteorra] Feasts and Special Diets (was History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....)

clarissa clarissa at supportyou.com
Mon Apr 22 15:32:02 PDT 2002

Look, I have special dietary needs and so does my husband and we won't
even talk about my daughter's very 'special' likes and dislikes! I simply
look at the ingredient list and decide whether we can eat it or not. If
not, we don't buy it. If we do buy it and end up not being able to eat
it, we always have something extra stashed in the cooler just in case. No
big deal. I do not expect someone to cater to my specific needs at a
feast for 50 or 200.

As a cook, I know its simply impossible to fit everyone's allergies, diet
needs, dislikes and so forth. As a cook,if I know enough ahead of time
that say a vegetarian is coming, I can make extra meatless entrees and I
have when asked in advance made alternative non-alcoholic dishes when
someone requested it.  However, when it comes to leaving out major
ingredients or spices, it is usually impossible to do it across the board
and equally impossible to do a number of different variations on each
dish to meet all 200 attendees needs.

Clarissa di Firenze
clarissa at supportyou.com