[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

Shana Hardy Shana.Hardy at tsrh.org
Wed Apr 24 06:25:13 PDT 2002

My statements did not mean to infer it as a blanket statement, on the contrary. There are indeed it is more the minority than majority.  But I have noticed that it is more so than it was just a few years ago.  And I think this is exactly what needs to happen; ask them, bring it to their attention.

Tangwystl

>>> j_smallw at TITAN.SFASU.EDU 04/24/02 08:04AM >>>
Before anyone goes and starts thinking chivalry and courtesy is dead or
asleep, did anyone ask these men, knights, dons (all these vilified
people) why they didn't help or bring the situation of someone in need of
help to their attention?

It's possible that there were more pressing matters or that they just
didn't really notice.  Maybe they knew the lady and knew she wouldn't
accept assistance.  It's hard to know just what the circumstances are
without actually talking to people.  I wouldn't just assume that they were
lazy or didn't want to help.

Also to make such a blanket statement based on the actions of a few (and
not knowing their motives) just doesn't seem right.  I know I've seen
plenty of men (myself included) helping ladies set things up and carry
things.  Do they do it all the time?  Probably not.  But if one man has
helped 99 ladies and you've noticed the 1 lady he didn't help...

I'd ask you all to think of how many times you have seen someone pitch in
and help somebody else out.  It's easy to look at the negatives and not
think about the positives.

Ansgar