[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

J.G. Bretz b3zsgirl at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 09:52:55 PDT 2002

> Good ladies and all who read this,
>
> Sorry, but I've got to step in here. I don't know how many times I've
> offered to help a lady carry something only to be rebuffed. I've had
> actually had women get offended that I offered to help, telling me that
they
> were *quite* capable of carrying something without a man's assistance.
Which
> is it? Should we offer or not? How can we tell that you want help or
don't?
> Body language doesn't do it, by the way - men, in general, aren't good at
> interpreting it.
>
> There have also been several occasions where I've helped various women
carry
> various things throughout the day, only to be called down and criticized
on
> the one time that I didn't see a lady with a burden or was unable to help.
> It seems to me that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't and will be
> criticized either way.
>
> Awaiting the fire,
> Pendaran

 Okay I have to admit I am 100% guilty of not accepting assistance.  I feel
really goofy having someone carry my basket, or single chair.  I will try
and do better. :-)

I did have a funny instance where a gentleman asked to help me.  I had my
ice chest and my basket, and he asked if he could take my heavy item.  I
gave him the basket on top.  He was surprised that I did that, and asked for
the ice chest.  I replied that the basket was indeed the heavier item.
HL Biatrichi di Palermo
Seer to the nobility of since 1492

Non essiri duci sinno tu mancianu, non essiri amaru sinno ti futanu