[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 24 10:23:32 PDT 2002

On the question of ladies rebuffing attempts to help with parcels (and I have heard far more stories lately about women NOT being helped, than rebuffing help), I have something to add that I have not seen.

Sometimes, I have carefully balanced my load.  I may reject assistance because in the past, the person offering help has simply grabbed items and overturned everything I am carrying, or has unbalanced the load in a way that became painful.

Part of the problem is that too many young men and squires are taught only "help a lady with her parcels" and not the next step: " ... and ask how best to do so."  If I know the person is going to say "What should I take?" then I am more likely to accept the assistance, because I know that things will not be broken (me included!) in the process.

And please, gentlemen - PRACTICALITY.  If you are coming through a door and see a lady with burdens going in that direction, FIRST hold the door open, and ask as she passes if she needs help.  Having the door smack you, her, or the parcels while you try to grab something is more comic than helpful.

                           ---= Morgan

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.
 No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."
                                  ---= Elbert Hubbard